Conflict of Interest in Research
Researchers pursuing external funding must complete an Internal Approval Form, which requires a disclosure of conflict of interest. If a conflict of interest is disclosed on the Internal Approval Form, a Financial Conflict of Interest Assurance & Disclosure Form must also be completed and submitted.
All investigators submitting proposals to NSF must complete and submit the Financial Conflict of Interest Assurance & Disclosure Form regardless of their disclosure on the Internal Approval Form.
**NEW AUGUST 2012** - Public Health Service (PHS) regulations regarding COI have changed.
Please see the COI in Research Policy and PHS-Specific COI Provisions links at the left. All researchers submitting proposals to PHS must complete and submit the Financial Conflict of Interest Assurance & Disclosure Form (PHS Projects) regardless of their disclosures on the Internal Approval Form. PHS agencies include:
- Agency for Healthcare Research & Quality (AHRQ)
- Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR)
- Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC)
- Food & Drug Administration (FDA)
- Health Resources & Services Administration (HRSA)
- Indian Health Service (IHS)
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
Forms should be submitted to the Office of Research Administration (ORA).
- Internal Approval Form
- Financial Conflict of Interest Assurance & Disclosure Form
- Financial Conflict of Interest Assurance & Disclosure Form (PHS Projects)
For additional information, see the Federal Guidelines for Conflict of Interest: