Export Control

It is the policy of Missouri State University that, absent extraordinary circumstances, teaching, research, and service will be accomplished openly and without prohibitions or restrictions on the publication and dissemination of the results of academic and research activities. However, certain federal regulations may require the University to obtain licenses from the U.S. Departments of State, Commerce, or Treasury before allowing foreign nationals to access research involving specific technologies or before sharing research information with persons who are not citizens of the United States or permanent resident aliens.

It is the policy of Missouri State University to pursue teaching, research, and service in a manner that is consistent with the applicable Export Control regulations while making reasonable efforts to maximize the situations in which the University may claim the benefit of the public domain or fundamental research exclusion to the regulations.


  • I will be traveling outside the United States.
  • I want or plan to have foreign national(s) participate in my research.
  • I want or plan to collaborate with a researcher or institution from outside the United States.
  • I will be working on a project that involves nuclear, military or space related information, technical data, equipment, or software.
  • I want to hire a foreign national employee.
  • I need to ship items internationally.
  • My research involves subjects related to nuclear, chemical, biological, weaponry, missiles, unmanned vehicles, or encryption technologies.
  • My project has contractual restrictions on publishing, proprietary information, or foreign national participation.


ITAR - U.S. Department of State, Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC) website

EAR - U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Industry & Security (BIS) website

OFAC - U.S. Department of the Treasury, Office of Foreign Assets Control website